Certified Nurse Assistant
PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT – CNA
A. POSITION SUMMARY:
The Nursing Assistant assists the resident in performing activities of daily living, provides a clean and safe living environment, gathers data on the resident’s physical and emotional state, and reports observations to the nurse in charge.
• Assists the resident with activities of daily living:
A. Bathes or assists resident to bathe, provides evening care, and incontinence care.
B. Grooming; including care of hair and fingernails.
C. Assists in dressing and undressing.
D. Assists with meal tray, feeds resident as needed, and provides between meal nourishments and fluids as assigned.
E. Toilets resident.
F. Positions resident for comfort, using principles of body mechanics and repositions
G. Provides or assists with oral hygiene.
H. Answers signal lights in a prompt manner.
• Recognizes resident’s strengths and uses rehabilitative nursing techniques to restore or maintain the resident’s independence:
A. Range of motion exercises.
B. Supervises and/or assists with ambulation, transfer, etc.
C. Assists with bowel and bladder training.
D. Participates in reality orientation.
• Assists in meeting the resident’s socio-emotional needs:
A. Explains procedures and communicates with resident.
B. Shows support through listening.
C. Encourages social and/or therapeutic activities.
D. Supports the dying resident.
E. Provides for residents’ privacy when appropriate.
F. Ensures the resident’s rights are maintained.
G. Lights cigarettes and pipes and attends residents when they smoke (if applicable).
• Assists in provision of a safe and clean environment:
A. Properly stores and uses equipment.
B. Reports faulty equipment and accidents to Charge Nurse.
C. Dresses resident appropriately for activities, appointments, etc.
D. Makes and remakes beds as assigned.
E. Cleans beds, bedside units, and diaper hampers, and all other areas designated by
F. Puts away clean linen and supplies.
• Assists in preventing the spread of infection:
A. Uses proper hand washing techniques.
B. Uses proper disposition of soiled linen.
C. Cares for residents in isolation.
• Reports observations to Charge Nurse concerning the resident’s condition or activities:
A. Participates as a team member in Nursing Care Conference.
B. Records observations on nursing worksheets as assigned.
• Performs postmortem care:
A. Attends Staff Development programs related to job responsibilities.
B. Transports residents from one nursing unit to another.
C. Accompanies residents to the patio.
D. Performs other related duties as assigned and may rotate among various
• High school Diploma required.
• Ability to read, write, and follow directions in English for business necessity.
• Must be able to communicate effectively with residents and staff.
• Interest in the geriatric patient necessary.
• Previous healthcare facility experience preferred.